Wednesday 2 May 2012

Office talk


I'm sitting in a place surrounded by people who don't like me. At least as a professional. the moment I leave the room and shut the door behind me I could here a buzz breakout. A bit stupid I should say because if someone wants to talk about someone without that someone knowing shouldn't they wait till the door shuts properly?

Maybe I should give a lesson or two about the Art of talking behind someone's back.
 Lesson Number 1: Do not look up, immediately turn your chair and stare at your computer screen for a few minutes before you resume your normal work, when the person enters the room.
 I thought that was basics? 

I'm not against gossip/talking behind someone's back because hey, I do that all the time. And when someone tearfully declares to you "why didn't you come and ask me to my face?" well I simply say if I do, either you won't give me an answer or you might for obvious reasons lie to me or you might say "it's non of your business".And well such disappointing answers simply don't fill my curiosity.

However I'm against spreading stories which you know to be are lies. Or saying something with certainty without first clarifying yourself whether it is in fact the utmost truth.
However,
 Lesson Number 2: There is an easy way to over come this problem. Simply add a clause in your statement. For example" A told me this about B. But knowing A I don't believe it 100%) And you have done your part and your conscious in clean (mostly)   ; )   

Of course the people in my room would never read this blog. So I guess there is little purpose in this. 

Tata! (sending happy waves from my office...even though the transmission is likely to be interrupted by the hate atmosphere resonating so heavily in this tiny room)

3 comments:

  1. //Lesson Number 2: There is an easy way to over come this problem. Simply add a clause in your statement. For example" A told me this about B. But knowing A I don't believe it 100%) And you have done your part and your conscious in clean //
    spoken like a true lawyer! good one,

    ReplyDelete
  2. exactly what I do too......good one Orange Barley :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! A toxic office environment. I should know, i work in one.My situation is slightly different.We work long hours in teams, and a fallout is stress inducing and very counter productive. I work with a "ex-friend" who used to bitch about me to another friend, they fell out and ex comes crawling back.I've noticed that its easier working with Men than women (Topic for a blog post),They tell you straight to your face.

    ReplyDelete